Oct 03, 2023
The requirements set forth in each of the majors are designed to prepare graduates for a wide variety of potential career paths. Central to the design of each of our program’s degree tracks is an emphasis on the versatility imparted by a liberal arts education. We strive to prepare students for employment and continued life-long learning. Therefore, the requirements for the science majors integrate direct, hands-on learning with critical and creative thinking oriented education.
Student Learning Outcomes
- Apply the scientific process and critical thinking in problem solving.
- Demonstrate the ability to safely and appropriately use current scientific technology/instrumentation in the lab and field.
- Demonstrate the application of fundamental environmental science concepts in the analysis or resolution of a science-based question of interest.
- Apply appropriate techniques to the analysis of environmental problems.
Minimum required credits for the program: 59
Requirements for the program: Students must complete core courses, concentration courses, and one minor. Additionally, students must fulfill the math portion of the GEU by taking either MAT 1020 or MAT 1060, and MAT 2021.
Required Core Courses (34-35 credits)
Choose one set of orientation courses:
Complete either a 4-credit internship or 4 credits of research. Research credits should be distributed over at least two terms.
Sustainability Studies Concentration (13-15 credits)
Electives (at least 6 credits)
Select courses from two different groups.
Minor (choose one)
Up to 8 credits from the above may also count towards the minor. Students opting for the Environmental Science concentration may not opt for the Environmental Science Minor. Students opting for the Sustainability Studies concentration may not opt for the Sustainability Studies minor.
- Adventure Education (21 Credits) (J)
- Biology (20 Credits) (J & L)
- Chemistry (19 Credits) (J)
- Environmental Chemistry (20 Credits) (L)
- Environmental Education (20-21 Credits) (J)
- Environmental Science (19-21 Credits) (J & L)
- (NEW) Geographic Analysis (19 Credits) (L)
- Geology (20 Credits) (L)
- (NEW) Natural Science (19 Credits) (J & L)
- Physics (20 Credits) (L)
- Sustainability Studies (21 Credits) (L)
- Wilderness Leadership (21 Credits) (J)
- (NEW) Wildlife Management (Credits 19-21) (J & L)