The Northern Vermont University Explorations Program supports first-year students and sophomores who are actively investigating a variety of undergraduate majors and subsequent career options. As students take electives and required General Education Core Curriculum (GECC) courses in the arts, humanities, natural sciences, and social sciences, their assumptions about learning, life, and careers are challenged. Through Explorations, students develop a course of study that fits their needs.
In the Explorations program, students:
• choose just about any courses they want during their first year while exploring various fields of study that interest may interest them
• work with an advisor who will help them choose courses, explore career explorations, and discover career paths students might not have imagined
• complete many GECC requirements while exploring choices of courses and disciplines
• surround themselves with like-minded students and
• may work with faculty mentors who will help define and redefine your interests, skills, and aspirations, and ultimately assist you to choose a major with confidence
During the first year, advisors help students to:
• work with career professionals to help you choose your correct path
• meet with other Explorations students to discuss interests and experiences
• visit with various academic departments and faculty about their offerings
• register for a wide-range of courses that gain you GECC credits
The Explorations program is designed to help students select classes and majors that complement their skills and interests. Students will begin their first semester with a sample of GECC courses, often including a required Math and English course. While fulfilling GECC requirements and keeping students on track to graduate on schedule, this course plan allows students to experience a wide range of offerings and disciplines.
Explorations students, are in good company-nationally, thirty to forty percent of entering college students have not decided on a major and spend their first year exploring their options. After choosing a major, Explorations students move easily into their new program and begin to work with a new advisor.